Some common symbols within the mandala include:
- Wheel with eight spokes: The circular nature of a wheel works as an artistic representation of a perfect universe. The eight spokes represent the Eightfold Path of Buddhism, a summary of practices that lead to liberation and rebirth.
- Bell: Bells represent an openness and emptying of the mind to allow the entrance of wisdom and clarity.
- Triangle: When facing upward, triangles represent action and energy, and when facing downward, they represent creativity and the pursuit of knowledge.
- Lotus flower: A sacred symbol in Buddhism, the symmetry of a lotus depicts balance. As a lotus reaches up from underwater into the light, so too does a human reaching for spiritual awakening and enlightenment.
- Sun: A popular basis for modern mandala patterns, suns tend to represent the universe, often carrying meanings related to life and energy